Sunday, April 6, 2014

Half Way There

2 weeks down, 2 to go. We are half way there! Please Lord let these next 2 weeks fly with supernateral speed. 4 weeks is a long time for the kids to not see their daddy, and for me not to see my man. We are all missing him like crazy. My heart breaks for my youngest..she seems to be taking it the hardest.  Everyday when Jake calls I let the kids talk to him and Tahlia always does this half laugh/half cry when she hears his voice. It makes me want to cry.  But, as hard as it is missing him, we are holding up ok, thanks to God, and I know it will be worth it.  There is nothing more frustrating about living here than not being able to communicate with the people we work with everyday. For me it is still ok, I can get along for the most part with the little Spanish I know (accompanied by many hand gestures), but with Jake being in the position that he is - managing the orphanage, talking to lawers, signing papers - he needs to be able to clearly understand what's going on and being said, and for that he needs to either 1) always use a translator, or 2) learn the language.  

Well a little while ago we talked to a beautiful missionary couple who we met through a divine appointment, who also live in Peru, and who also run an orphanage and school, ANd who are also Canadian :D So cool meeting them.  We found out that they also came to Peru not speaking any Spanish (We have so much in common:) But, the one difference was that they were now speaking fluent Spanish! And we are not.  So they told us about the great school they went to in Lima, and with that Jake had his mind made up that he too would go to Lima to learn Spanish so that we could once again have everything in common. So off he went on the bus for the long ride to Lima.

It was hard for me to imagine how things would go without him here for such a long time, but as I've been praying daily and learning to trust more, I'm seeing God's goodness more than ever. He is faithful, He is taking care of us. It took me awile but I'm starting to see that maybe I will benefit some good out of this too. It is pushing me to do jobs that normally Jake would take care of, and it's stretching me and growing my faith. For example: Driving. It's one of the things I've actually missed while living here. Yes, I drive to the women's bible study every Saturday, but that is dirt roads out on the dump. Driving in town is a whole different story, and Jake is scared out of his mind at the thought of me driving on those narrow crazy streets, so he always does all the driving....until now :)) I have already had several opportunities to drive since Jake's been gone, one of them being last week when all the Casa kids had to be taken to the lab in town for blood tests. I was so excited, and a bit nervous, to drive with a van full of kids. Everyone made it back alive Praise the Lord. 

It's amazing. God can do so much more than what we often expect him to do.  Jake is not only learning Spanish in Lima, he is being stretched too and growing in his faith through this. He got to go to an important conference while he's there, and he's made some new friends, and I am learning new things too. I thank my heavenly Father for all He does for us. 

I can hardly wait for our little family to be reunited in two weeks from now, but I'm excited to see what else God does in the meantime :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment