Saturday, February 23, 2013

Beer and Bibles

Every now and then I think about how much joy there is in serving God. I think about how unsatisfying and boring it would be to live a life for self, and I feel a real sadness for people who don't know our awesome God and Father. The days are passing by so quickly I have to stop for a second (or an hour :) ) and just thank God and praise him for who he is and what he does in our lives.

Today while me and Pete were in town we got called over by a guy sitting with his friends having a beer. (Our van is covered with advertisement about the church and orphanage) and he pointed at the van and then put his hands up over his face. I was pretty confused at first and didn't know if he was making fun of us or what. But I walked up to him and asked what he was trying to say and again all he did was put his hands in front of his face and said "leer"(read). So I asked if he wanted a bible, "si si"(yes yes) he says. So I explained that I didn't have any in our van but I could run over to the orphanage and get some. So we rushed home grabbed a few Spanish bibles and went back. I had Mateo with me and he wanted to help so I gave him one of the bibles to hand to our new friend, and I proceeded to hand bibles to his friends but they said "no no" with my poor spanish I couldn't understand what else they said so one of the guys took a bible and handed it to Mateo and motioned him to give it back. So I understood they wanted the bibles handed out by my little three year old son :) he makes me proud. There was five of them sitting around a table so I opened up an extra bible I had brought and opened it to John 3:16 and they all frantically followed me to find the passage. One of the guys read the verse and they all smiled and nodded. And after trying to explain that God loved each one of them so much that he gave up his own son on the cross, they asked what church we where from. And of course I explained it to them and said I hoped to see them there Sunday morning. I was so caught up in the excitement I didn't think about praying over them on the spot but we need prayer for these guys, so would love if you would say just a little prayer for them and ask God to make the seed grow that's been planted in their hearts. I have to say that made my day. Just going about our day looking for some hardware in town and God sets up a Divine appointment for us to give these guys a bible.
God has been guiding our steps so much these last two weeks. From leading us to a lubricating shop to pray over the owners family to supplying us with the bearings we needed for our water trailer. It's so cool when your clueless as to what's next and then God just sort of nudges you in the right direction. May God's blessing rest on you, I love you dearly.

1 comment:

  1. Great word Jake....Lord works in wondrous ways.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete