Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Season of Change

Oh dear.. our last blog post was Christmas. It's April now and our first update this year.. we're a little behind huh? Oops. I would apologize but the truth is, I don't forget to update, or get to busy to write, (not speaking for my husband though;). I just go through times where I can't write. I don't know what it is but it's like in those times I literally can't seem to transfer my thoughts to words. So then when I do write, I really write, and usually do a bunch of blog posts all at once. Awhile ago I decided to not let this frustrate me anymore. Maybe God is reminding me that there is a time to speak, and a time to remain quiet, and He will let me know when it is time to speak. Today I felt like it was time to speak, so after praying for Holy Spirit to guide my words and for all that I say to glorify God alone, here's the latest...

2015. There's something different about this year. Of course every new year is different and full of change, but while most changes seem to happen gradually and over time, this year so far has been like an explosion of change.
We were barely into the new year when our pastor here decided to quit on very short notice and take off to Mexico where the Lord was calling him. I guess when God says go, you go, right? We do wish pastor Willy and family the best in their new ministry, but the way they left with hardly a warning left us unprepared for what was next. But thankfully we serve a God who we can rely on for all things, and He knew that He hadn't given Jake a passion and gift of teaching for nothing.:) Jake has had this prophesied over him since he was a young teen that one day he would be a great pastor, and here he is now pastoring a church. It's been wonderful to see the church fill back up, and the music team back together.. so much restoration is happening!, I got to watch my husband baptize 10 young people who have trusted in Christ as their Lord and Savior (3 of which were our girls from the orphanage). It's just awesome and we are full of praise and thanks to our Awesome God who is making all this happen. It's so good, but it hasn't been all easy. God reminds us that when much is given, much is required. I've never seen my husband work as hard as he has these past few months. Our women's bible study and kids club ministry is no longer meeting at Flor's house out on the dump, we have moved it back into the church now that everyone feels welcomed again.

As busy as my hubby has been, I've also been busier than usual this year. This is the first year since moving to Peru that we have decided to not enroll our kids in Peruvian schools. I am homeschooling the kids this year. So far it's been a bit crazy and unstructured and I really have no idea if I'm doing it right, but I'm doing the best I know how, and if they're not learning anything then at least I am :) Overall, as tiring and time consuming as it's been, I'm having as much fun with it as the kids are... I love being somewhat in control of what and how my children learn, and nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment when you see the look on their little faces when you know they finally 'get it'. And the fact that we get to stay in our pj's for class is pretty cool too ;)

With all the changes that happen around us, I think it's safe to say that the ones that happen within us are the biggest and most important. Because what happens within us will usually effect what happens around us. Well, the Lord has been doing some major reno's in mine and Jake's hearts for awhile now.. I don't really know when exactly or how it happened, but all I remember is having a deep yearning to be closer to God. You know how sometimes when you're with someone (sometimes even a whole crowd of people) and you still feel alone? Well that's how I had been feeling in my relationship with Christ for quite some time. Feeling far from God is the worst feeling :/ I know we cannot base our relationship on feelings and that even when He feels far, He is still there, and as bad as those times feel, they are probably good for us because they cause us to seek Him more. And that's what I did.  I called out to God with all my heart. And every time I prayed, the same words came to mind as His reply "Seek Me with all your heart and you will find me."  I knew that the two best ways to seek God are in prayer and in His Word, and I felt convicted as I knew I hadn't been in the word as much lately.  After that I opened my bible prayerfully asking for a renewed passion for His Word, and he gave me not only that but also new understanding of the scriptures. It seemed like every time I opened my bible, I was hit with new truths. It's amazing, I have read the bible through from front to back, twice, and there were, and still are, verses in there that I'm sure were not there before! Of course they were there all along, but the scriptures just seem more alive now than ever. God is faithful. He says that if we seek him with all our hearts, we will find him, and if we lack wisdom, we should ask and it will be freely given. If you've got the Holy Spirit living in you and you truly seek the truth, you will find it,.. and then you will wonder why not everyone knows the truth and like a little child when they discover something new and exciting and want the whole world to know about it, you too will want the whole world to know it! The sad thing is though that a lot of Christians these days don't really want to know the truth. They are satisfied just hearing the 'feel good' parts, because that's much easier. This saddens me, because it is to their own loss. But it is something Jake and I pray for often now, for eyes to be opened, and hearts to be softened to receive the Whole truth of the gospel. I'm so glad that the Lord is doing this work in not only me but my husband too. We grow together in our walk with the Lord, and grow closer to one another in the process. I can't express enough how grateful I am for that!

There is more to be said, but we'll leave it for another post because it's 12am and I'm tired now. :) Good night, and God bless you.

 "If you abide in My word, you are truly my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

3 comments:

  1. Hallelujah praise the Lord! So glad to hear that the Spirit of Godis mmoving in Peru. Keep seeking the Lord sister! The Bible says that 'He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, an unimaginable reward awaits us in heaven! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the update Maggie! I love hearing about your life out there. Looking forward to going back to Peru!

    ReplyDelete