Monday, January 21, 2013

How we got here.

There is much to say. But in my first post I would simply like to share a few things on how God brought a family of four (and a half) to Peru. At age 26 I landed in Drayton united church with my family, (how I reached that point will be in another post). It was a dry, un-God filled, unsatisfying time of my life. For a while God had been trying to get through to me and my wife about getting back into a church and replenishing our relationship with Him. Our daughter was sick with a bad case of tonsillitis  not eating, throwing up anything we did manage to get into her including medication. God had our attention. On a particular Saturday on our way back from visiting my parents, God simply reminded us "I can not guide you to the right church unless you start moving towards one". We had been praying about Gods guidance to help us find the right church, but had never actually gone to one. So that night we drove around our small home town and started looking for churches. It wasn't hard to find a few church buildings, but there was one that had the times of services marked on their sign. Not having a clue on the background of any churches we walked into the United church. Hearts pounding we walked in on Sunday morning, and at once we felt like this was family, We laugh at it now because from the first day on we walked in the back door as if we belonged there. I don't think once did we ever use the front door. We learned that they had a regular trip each year to Peru. So once again with heart pounding I signed up, went through the interview and I still remember the phone call from the church. "Congratulations Jake your going to Peru". The next year my wife joined and only weeks after our return it was like God released my desire to go back for long term with my family. And I was allowed by God to send pastor Jeff an email stating my desire. The next step was to talk to Avis Goodhart the founder. "Hallelujah!!" And we had her approval. It took us about three months to sell our house and everything we owned through public auction. This was a huge step of faith for us, after trying to sell it privately on our own we became almost hopeless that we would receive our asking price of $175000 that we would need in order to pay off the mortgage and have enough left to support ourselves on our mission. The auctioneer assured me we only needed two bidders to make the sale. I will carry the image with me forever I think when he stood with his loud speaker and started his auctioneering. At this point all the household items had been sold, so to not sell the house now would spell out disaster. Curious onlookers watched as he rattled on for a few minutes about all the good reasons to raise a bidding hand. At long last one hand went up, what relief, the bid has started at $125000 surely it's on now. But on he went with his chanting and not another hand raised. Taking a small break the auctioneer stood with confidence and said I will get you $175000. I desperately wanted to believe him but in my mind it was not possible. After another few minutes of convincing the small crowd that this was a good buy, Nothing. "Time to speak privately to the one bidder". I don't think it matters what was said between the auctioneer and bidder because God was all over it. It was like waking up from a dream and realizing that in fact you did not just smash up your vehicle, it had only been a dream. When he came back to tell me the final offer with the same confident look on his face, his hand now reaching to shake mine. "You got $175000" not a cent less, not a cent more. God showed as all that day he could do it with only ONE bidder. Closing date was three weeks after. Just enough time to get ready to fly out of the country two days after closing date. There are many more details to this story and I can assure you it was not all roses, there was the thorns that come along with growing a rose. God bless you, I look forward to sharing more story's of Gods guidance in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment