Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Market day

Market days have become less exciting from what it was in the beginning. I remember marveling at all the vendors and what they had to offer. You would feel almost obligated to buy at least a little bit from all of them in an effort to help them all out. But there are well over a hundred of them so that's not an option. Climbing the side walk steps up the steep hill to "the upstairs market" you pass a gentleman with a scale shouting "a sole for your weight" and then the elderly lady who's too weak to work holds out her hand, and she smiles as we approach cause she knows there's some pocket change and perhaps an encouraging word coming her way, and of course the bright blue eyes of Mateo that the ladies just can't resist. At last at the top it gets crowded and it becomes necessary to hold the kids hands as not to lose them. Today I need a new broom stick. I will get the good wooden one for S/.3.50. Walking down the crowded street a stranger walks up with obvious intention in his eyes and a held out hand gives it away, he wants money. At a glance I wonder why, he seems fine. His other hand catches our attention as he lifts his shirt to reveal a disturbing sight. A hole has been ripped in his skin and intestines are protruding out of it. I have never seen anything like it. My hand reaches for money in my pocket and my wife says "we need to pray for him". Thoughts of my limited spanish run through my mind. But being urged on I ask "permiso orar por te?" He nods his head and I start to pray in English for healing and peace. His face becomes a picture of satisfaction and peace. He moves on before we have the chance to find the words to say next. We don't normally go to the "upstairs market" anymore unless we have something in specific that we need but I think I will go next Monday and ask God to lead me to him again for another prayer and hopefully a talk about the gospel. We need prayer for stuff like this. For God to bring us people to pray for, and for God to heal them. In whatever way they need healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment