Tuesday, January 22, 2013

No Espanol

That awkward moment when someone says something to you and you have absolutely no clue what they just said and all you can do is stand there with a dumb blank look on your face.. Yep we have had all too many of these 'awkward moments' since moving to Peru.  "No espanol", "No comprende" words we have over-used lots.  Jake and I laugh now as we remember how confidently we talked before coming here about how 'quickly' we would pick up the language. "We'll be fluent in Spanish in no time!" we said.  Well, it is definitely going a bit slower than we first thought, but, we are learning "poco a poco" little by little, and we do have to keep reminding ourselves that we have only been here 3 months and that is not a lot of time to learn a whole new language.  The casa de paz kids get a kick out of our Spanish speaking attempts and love to correct us too, which is very helpful ... and a few of them are just as eager to learn English as we are to learn Spanish, so we've been having fun doing lessons with them. I thank God for hands and arms to motion with, and translator apps!
 Going to church on Sunday's and not being able to understand the message has been tough though.  I remember one Sunday in particular when I was feeling very dry and empty spiritually and just so hungering for a good filling message, and as we sat there through the seemingly long service I just prayed and asked God to translate the message so that I could understand.  Well, He didn't translate it... but, right after the service as we were getting ready to leave, one of the kids came running to me and she took my bible, flipped through the pages and pointed to a certain scripture, then walked away.  The scripture was a parable of Jesus - one that I had never quite understood.  But as I started reading God gave me a revelation of the scripture and for the first time I completely understood this parable!  It was also exactly what I needed to hear that day.  So, God did answer my prayer to help me understand, just not in the way I thought, and I walked out of church that day filled up, knowing that God does not leave us empty when we come to Him.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" Matt 5:6

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Maggie. God wants to reveal things to all of us...all we need to do is be open and looking. I'm so glad God met your need that day, and that you will have more expectation that He will meet your need the next time! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete